Confession y’all. I have gotten wayyy too many sunburns in my life. I even have a sweet farmers tan going on in this picture (the result of a long day of yard work in Texas in November – who thinks of sunblock in November?!). As a kid, my mom didn’t really believe in sunblock – I grew up in a time when lathering yourself with baby oil was actually cool! We lived on solarcaine spray (does that stuff still exist?). It provided some relief but didn’t actually prevent the burn from happening. Now that it’s 2016 and I’m adulting (most days), I’m a lot smarter about sun protection. And since summer is unofficially in full swing, it’s time to talk about preventing sunburns. Ideally, you never have a sunburn, since you’re so with it with sun protection like me. You’re covered up, using SPF and only going out in the mornings and evenings, right? Mmmm hmmmm….
Anyway, in the very small off chance that you suffered from a bit of a sunburn this weekend, or do at any point throughout the summer, I have a solution for you! Best of all, it only involves 4 ingredients. You can even do it without the essential oils, if you’re in a bind. It will still help.
What you need:
- Coconut Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg brand is the best and you can use it for about a million other things)
- Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oil (any brands will work but make sure you are using therapeutic grade)
As soon as you feel the sunburn coming on, or after a long day in the sun you can give these quick steps a shot.
- Wet a clean wash cloth with apple cider vinegar and gently rub all over your skin. The apple cider vinegar should immediately help cool the burn and prevent any stinging.
- Melt about 1/4 cup of coconut oil and add 10 drops of lavender oil and 5 drops of peppermint oil. When skin is dry, rub coconut oil all over the sunburned area. The lavender helps heal the burn and the peppermint oil helps cool the skin. The coconut oil helps moisturize.
- Continue doing this for the next few days, as needed.
This works guys! I promise. Not that I’m encouraging sunburns, but next time you have one coming on try this. There’s something magical about coconut oil and raw apple cider vinegar am I right?
So let’s all be cool like this little chick and protect our skin from the sun. But keep this blog post handy you know, just in case…